Chair: Prof. Wei-Sen Li
Co-chair: Prof. Desmond Manatsa
Members of the Committee:
- Prof. Wei-Sen Li, NCDR, Chinese Taipei
- Prof. Desmond Manatsa, Chair; African Alliance of Disaster Research Institutes (AADRI), Bindura University of Science Education, Zimbabwe
- Dr. Indrajit Pal, AIT, Thailand
- Dr. Rodrigo Cienfuegos, CIGIDEN, Chile
- Dr. Lina Dorado, UNGRD, Colombia
Draft Strategic Plan
Committee on Institutional Capacity Building of GADRI
The Committee on Institutional Capacity Building of the Global Alliance of Disaster Research Institutes ("the Committee") is aimed at leveraging capabilities and resources among all partners under GADRI for capacity building. The committee focuses its functions and operations on sharing knowledge, management, opportunities, good practices and training on enhancing disaster research, resilience and risk reduction.
The Committee fosters this GARDI partnership by co-working on building capacity and capability, whereas GADRI (e.g., special purpose GADRI committees, the Secretariat and/or staff) will create and maintain networking activities via channels, vehicles and other modalities. Actions of Capacity Building shall be facilitated both within GADRI as well as between GADRI and the many other existing networks at regional and global scale working in the resilience, risk and disaster fields.
The Committee's Principles for GADRI Institutional Capacity Building are:
- GADRI Member Institutes should share their expertise and demands of disaster risk management and resilience by surveys under GADRI to depict the opportunities and direction for regional or global efforts on topics addressed by GADRI.
- The collaboration scope of "Institutional Capacity Building" should be both intra-GADRI and with entities external to GADRI ranging from international agencies, organizations (including non-governmental organizations) to sovereign national governments and agencies, press and media, leading thinkers and policymakers and the general population.
- GADRI "Institutional Capacity Building" activities shall encourage both physical or virtual exchange on inter- and trans-disciplinary, that is, inclusive of involvement from research disciplines, practical implementations, educations for under-graduate students, graduate students, NGO practitioners and all-levels governmental officers to better facilitate how to better built social capital and capacity for disaster risk management.
- GADRI "Institutional Capacity Building" will create "opportunities for exchange and learning" through diverse channels:
- At the GADRI Member Institution level - "Institutional Capacity Building" at the GADRI Member Institution level may take many forms, for example cooperative research programs, joint research, exchange of individual researchers, webinars or other training involving GADRI Member Institutes, and so on.
- at the society level - this involves facilitating dialogues, exchanging ideas and identifying gaps related to disaster resilience of the whole society.
- via outreach to international public/private sectors, development, humanitarian, and similar organizations, to strengthen rapid implementation of knowledge into applicable know-how.