- Preparatory Process
- Past Summits
The current sub-theme – Engaging Science with Actions – is targeting scientists to demonstrate their plans for action towards implement-oriented science.
i. Target E – Governance - Substantially increase the number of countries with national and local disaster risk reduction strategies by 2020;
- Scientific knowledge to provide evidence for effective implementation of DRR policies
- Stock taking of current progress and status of science in the world
ii. Target F – Finance - Substantially enhance international cooperation to developing countries through adequate and sustainable support to complement their national actions for implementation of the present Framework by 2030;
- Meeting demands from policy makers and planners, and actions by science/scientists
- Emphasis on focus of science in the world today and learning by action
- Future directions for scientists to proceed towards action or practice of science
- Making action an academic concern by sharing available knowledge and targets for implementation by policy makers
iii. Climate and Health: Disaster Resilience and Response – to influence climate policy work in the direction of disaster resilience and response actions based on the weight of the collective research by GADRI and its supporting regional Alliances on bringing the disasters research to bare on the outcomes of COP26 taking place in Glasgow, November 2021.
iV. Covid-19 and the New Era of Health Disaster Risk Reduction and Management – Responses and measures to Covid-19 – reports or national synthesis reports on Covid-19 – lessons learned and research gaps; and global pandemics – what is next?
V. Accessibility of information, data, reaction to disasters, and knowledge in the absence of a system to react and respond to the situation
Vi. Evaluating obstacles for scientist engagement with policy makers and practitioners, and legal challenges - Scientists and Actors Engagement Projects –
Vii. Exploring solutions to bridge the gaps for implementation of science in action
Route from scientific prediction to social implementation: how can we bridge the last but not least gap between academia and society for accomplishing disaster risk reduction.
5th Global Summit of Research Institutes for Disaster Risk Reduction
Date: 31 Aug. 2021 - 01 Sep. 2021